Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost, and what will I get?
The Expedition fee is 3,900 EUR per person, which includes:
- domestic travel (from Kota Kinabalu to Maliau Basin and back; also transportation to different field work sites)
- accommodation in the heart of the rain forest at Maliau Basin
- delicious local meals, including welcoming dinner in Kota Kinabalu
- hands-on field research & lab work, including equipment and research materials
- lectures and study materials, including a book
- DNA sequencing in the field using nanopore technology
Please keep in mind that international travel is not included.
Send us an e-mail to email@example.com and we will provide you information on how to book a place.
What can I expect?
- An unforgettable experience
- Doing real research with real scientists
- Lectures and hands-on field research
- Discover and name your own new species
How long does the expedition take?
Twelve days, including two days of travelling between the capital (Kota Kinabalu) and the field centre.
I don't know anything about the rainforest. Can I still join?
Sure! We provide a varied palette of activities, catering to any level of background knowledge. A love of nature and a commitment to biodiversity conservation are the only requirements.
What if I'm not very fit?
Our field station is very comfortable and is located on the very edge of the forest, so even participants who cannot walk or climb very far, can be involved in field work and discovery. However, be prepared for tropical temperatures and humidity.
When is your next expedition?
The next expedition is scheduled for the second half of September, 2017. We will go to Maliau Basin, Sabah, Malaysia.
How many people can join?
A maximum of ten participants and five instructors/staff.